GP landlord fined over gas safety in student flat

A landlord who is a Glasgow GP has been fined after failing to maintain a gas boiler at a student flat he owned in Oxford.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Dr Tariq Mahmood for breaching Gas Safety Regulations.

Oxford Magistrates’ Court heard that on December 17, 2010, a gas installer was called by the landlord to repair a boiler at the property. He refused to service the appliance and called an emergency gas engineer, who immediately condemned the boiler and flue. He then reported it to the HSE.

The HSE investigation revealed that Dr Mahmood had failed to maintain the boiler and flue for two years. ? ?After the hearing, HSE inspector Dozie Azubike said: “Dr Mahmood’s lack of care could have had very serious consequences for his Oxford University student tenants.

“Every year approximately 20 people die and many others suffer ill health from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Unchecked gas appliances can become unsafe over time, exposing tenants to possible serious injuries or even fatality. It is therefore vitally important that landlords fulfil their gas safety obligations to their tenants.”

Paul Johnston, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: “Landlords have a legal duty to ensure gas appliances in any property they rent are safety checked once a year and that they provide a copy of the gas safety record to their tenants.”

Mahmood, who pleaded guilty, was given a conditional discharge for a period of two years and ordered to pay costs of £4,928.

 

%d bloggers like this: